I. Working Papers
- COVID-19, City Lockdown, and Air Pollution: Evidence from China (with Yuhang Pan and Takanao Tanaka).
- Leveraging Political Incentives for Environmental Regulation: Evidence from Chinese Manufacturing Firms (with Shaoda Wang and Bing Zhang), Resubmitted, Quarterly Journal of Economics
[Gregory Chow Best Paper Award, Chinese Economists Society, 2018
Formerly Titled "Environmental Regulation and Firm Productivity: Estimates from a Regression Discontinuity Design")
- Energy Saving Can Kill: Evidence from the Fukushima Nuclear Accident (with Takanao Tanaka), Submitted.
- Influence Activities and Bureaucratic Performance: Evidence from a Large-Scale Field Experiment in China (with Alain de Janvry, Elisabeth Sadoulet, Shaoda Wang, and Qiong Zhang)
- Guns and Roses: Police Complicity in Prostitution (with Wenwei Peng)
- The Impact of Clean Water on Infant Mortality: Evidence from China (with Maoyong Fan)
- Can Technology Solve the Principal-Agent Problem? Evidence from Pollution Monitoring in China (with Michael Greenstone, Ruixue Jia, and Tong Liu)
- Expressways, GDP, and the Environment: The Case of China (with Yang Xie and Bing Zhang), Journal of Development Economics, 2020, In Press.
- Straw Burning, PM2.5 and Death: Evidence from China (with Tong Liu and Maigeng Zhou), Journal of Development Economics, 2020, 145: 102468.
- The Winter Choke: Coal-Fired Heating, Air Pollution, and Mortality in China (with Maoyong Fan and Maigeng Zhou), Journal of Health Economics, 2020, 71: 102316.
- Mitigating the Air Pollution Effect? The Remarkable Decline in the Pollution-Mortality Relationship in Hong Kong (with Chun Wai Cheung and Yuhang Pan), Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 2020. 101: 102316.
- Statistical Evidence on the Impact of Agricultural Straw Burning on Urban Air Quality in China (with Tong Liu and Alexis Lau), Science of the Total Environment, 2020, 711: 134633.
- Avoidance Behavior against Air Pollution: Evidence from Online Search Indices for Anti-PM2.5 Masks and Air Filters in Chinese Cities (with Tong Liu and Alexis Lau), Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, 2018, 20(2), pp325-363.
- Do College Graduates Serving as Village Officials Help Rural China? (with Shaoda Wang), American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 2017, 9(4), pp 186-215.
[Data Files] [AEA Research Highlight] [FT中文网] [CNPolitics]
[Masahiko Aoki Best Paper Nomination Award, CIDEG, 2017]
[Gregory Chow Best Paper Award, Chinese Economists Society, 2015]
- New Evidence on the Impact of Sustained Exposure to Air Pollution on Life Expectancy from China’s Huai River Policy (with Avraham Ebenstein, Maoyong Fan, Guojun He, Michael Greenstone, and Maigeng Zhou), Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2017, 114(39), pp. 10384-10389.
[Data Files] [The Air Quality-Life Index]
US Media: [WSJ] [REUTERS] [QUARTZ] [IBT] [Financial Times] [ABC News] [Business Insider] [World Economic Forum] [Yahoo!]
China Media: [SCMP] [China Dialogue] [Sina] [新华每日电讯] [观察者网] [环球网]
India Media: [Zee] [Hindustan Times] [NDTV] [CAN Indian] [Telegraph] [Indian Express] [Times of Indian]
- Particulate Air Pollution and Mortality in 38 of China's Largest Cities: Time-Series Analysis (co-first author, with Peng Yin, Maoyong Fan et al.), The BMJ (IF 28), 2017, 356: j667.
[VOA] [REUTERS] [JapanTimes] [IndianExpress] [SMCP] [MedicalExpress] [EurekAlert]
- The Effect of Air Pollution on Mortality: Evidence from the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games (with Maoyong Fan and Maigeng Zhou), Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, 2016, Vol. 79, pp. 18-39.
[Chicago Policy Review] [CNPolitics]
[Best Paper Award, China Health Policy and Management Society (CHPAMS), 2016–2017]
[Best Paper Award, International Paper Competition on China's Urban, Housing and Environmental Issues, 2015]
- Surface Water Pollution and Infant Mortality in China (with Jeffrey M. Perloff), Economic Development and Cultural Change, 2016, Vol. 65(1), pp. 119-13
- Growth, Pollution, and Life Expectancy: China from 1991-2012 (with Avraham Ebenstein, Maoyong Fan, Michael Greenstone, Peng Yin, and Maigeng Zhou), American Economic Review (P&P), 2015, Vol. 105(5), pp. 226-231.
- The Associations Between Ambient Air Pollution and Adult Respiratory Mortality In 32 Major Chinese Cities, 2006-2010 (with Maigeng Zhou, Maoyong Fan, et al.), Environmental Research, 2015, Vol. 137, pp. 278-286.
- Smog Episodes, Fine Particulate Pollution and Mortality in China (with Maigeng Zhou, Maoyong Fan, et al.), Environmental Research, 2015, Vol. 136, pp. 396–404.
- Does Customer Auditing Help Chinese Workers? (with Jeffrey M. Perloff), Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 2013, Vol. 66, pp. 2511-524.
III. Working in Progress
- Pollution alerts, contingency regulations, and the economic costs
- Environmental regulation and marginal abatement costs of China's manufacturing firms
- The selection and making of civil servants
- Understanding the political economy of crime
- Trends and determinants of suicide
- Climate change, mortality, and adaptation
- Trade, Pollution, and Growth